"Investigating the Role of the Microbiome and Inflammation in Acute and Chronic Pain in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease" NIH/NHLBI R01 (Co-Investigator) 09/01/2018 – 08/31/2023
This project seeks to investigate how microbial exposure and host inflammatory response impacts the expression of SCD pain and identify manipulatable targets for novel opioid-sparing pain treatments that will lessen patient suffering.
"A Phase 3, Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Study of Fostamatinib Disodium in the Treatment of Warm Antibody Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia" Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Principal Investigator) 06/01/2019 – Open End Date
The goal of this study is to determine the efficacy of Fostamatinib in the treatment of warm autoimmune hemolytic anemia.
"The Inflammatory Index as a Biomarker for Pain in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease" MCW/NINDS – R61 (Co-Investigator) 02/01/2020 – 07/31/2022
This project will investigate the development and preliminary clinical validation of the inflammatory index as a biomarker for pain in patients with sickle cell disease.
"MACC/EPPIC-Net as a Hub for the HEAL Initiative EPPIC-Net" MCW/NINDS (Co-Investigator) 09/18/2019 – 03/31/2024
This research provides a network of locations capable of implementing biomarker studies in patients with specific pain conditions, and clinical trials to test promising treatments for pain. Establishing this research network should produce quicker results than would otherwise be possible, reducing the time it takes to improve clinical care.
"SHP655 (rADAMTS13): A Phase 1/2 randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter, ascending dose, safety and PK/PD study of SHP655 (rADAMTS13) in sickle cell disease at baseline health and during acute vaso-occulsive crisis" Baxalta US, Inc./Shire (Principal Investigator) 02/01/2020 – End of Study
This study will assess safety, tolerability, and immunogenicity of SHP655 in subject with SCD at baseline health and during acute VOC.
- NIH (Award Recipient), Clinical Hematology Research Career Development Award at Washington University (K12) (2007-2010)
- NIH (Institutional Investigator), NHLBI Sickle Cell Disease Health-Related Quality of Life Questionnaire Development Project (2008-2010)
- TRF Pharma (Institutional Investigator), A Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study to Assess the Safety and Activity of TRF-1101 on Microvascular Blood Flow, Vascular Endothelial Injury, and Vaso-occlusive Pain in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease (04/2009-10/2009)
- NIH (Institutional Investigator), Neuropsychological Dysfunction and Neuroimaging Abnormalities in Neurologically Intact Adult Patients with Sickle Cell Disease-Phase II Pilot Intervention Study (01/2010-06/2010)
- NIH/NHLBI RC2HL101367 (Co-PI), Adenosine A2A Agonist Lexiscan in Children and Adults with Sickle Cell Anemia (2010-2011)
- NIH R01 HL098526 (Co-PI), Fibrocytes in the pathogenesis of sickle cell lung disease grant (2010–2014)
- NIH R01 HL095704 (Co-PI), Lymphocyte activation in sickle cell lung disease (2010-2015)
- NIH R34 HL10875 (Co-PI), Feasibility Study of Regadenoson for the Treatment of Acute Chest Syndrome (2011–2013)
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation #2011101 (Co-PI), Effects of the Adenosine 2A Receptor Agonist Regadenoson on Sickle Cell Vaso-occlusion and Inflammation (2012–2014, NCE 2015)
- NIH R01 HL111969 (Co-PI), Biomarkers of Inflammation and Vaso-occlusion in Sickle Cell Disease (2012-2016, NCE 2017)
- NIH P50 HL110790 (Co-PI), A Controlled Clinical Trial of Regadenoson in Sickle Cell Anemia (2012-2017, NCE June 2018)
- NKT Therapeutics Inc. (PI), A Single Ascending Dose (SAD) Phase I Study to Evaluate the Safety, Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics and Biologic Activity of Intravenous (IV) NKTT120 in Adults with Stable Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) (2013-2015)
- CTSI, MCW (PI), Intensive Management Protocol to Reduce Hospital Readmission in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease (2013-2014)
- FDA 7R01 FD004117-05 (PI), Phase 2 Study of Montelukast for the Treatment of Sickle Cell Anemia (2013-2018)
- PCORI (Co-PI), Comparison of Patient Centered Outcomes in the Management of Pain between Emergency Departments and Dedicated Acute Care Facilities for Adults with Sickle Cell Disease (2015-2018)
- Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (PI), A Phase 2, Multi-Center, Open Label, Simon Two Stage Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Fostamatinib Disodium in the Treatment of Warm Antibody Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (2016-2018)
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation (Co-PI), GRNDaD: Globin Regional Network for Database and Discovery (2016-2017)
- CTSI, MCW (PI), Functional MRI of the Brain in Adults with Sickle Cell Disease (2016-2018)
- Incyte Corporation (PI), A Phase 1 Open-Label, Dose-Escalation/Dose-Expansion Safety and Tolerability Study of INCB059872 in Subjects with Sickle Cell Disease (2017-2018)
- Prolong Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (PI), A Study of the Safety and Effectiveness of SANGUINATE™ in the Treatment of Vaso-occlusive Crises in the Infusion Clinic Setting: A Placebo-Controlled, Single-Dose, Double-Blind Study in Adult Sickle Cell Disease Patients (2017-2018)
- Cyclerion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (PI), A Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Phase 2 Study to Evaluate the Safety and Pharmacodynamics of Once-daily Oral IW-1701 in Patients with Stable Sickle Cell Disease (2018-2020)
- NIH/NHLBI 5K 23HL114636 (Co-PI), Peripheral Sensitization as a Novel Mechanism for Pain in Sickle Cell Disease (2018-2019)