Benign Hematology Clinic
Versiti, in collaboration with Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), staffs the Benign Hematology Clinic located on the Froedtert/MCW campus. There, our team of physicians and clinical staff evaluates patients with platelet and blood cell disorders who have been referred to the clinic. Together, our experts conduct research and help referring physicians make accurate diagnoses and manage the treatment of these patients. Our physicians and staff work closely with referring physicians to help them diagnose and manage treatment for patients with bleeding and clotting disorders, and conditions causing abnormal blood counts.
Evaluations at the Benign Hematology Clinic begin with referral facilitators, who talk with patients and assess their needs. Our clinical coordinator provides further assistance, and our nurse practitioner collaborates with our physicians to provide patients with the best possible care. Evaluations are performed by Medical Science Institute (MSI) physicians who are ABIM board-certified hematologists with access to a full array of laboratory testing.
Testing is provided by the Diagnostic Reference Laboratories of Versiti and a tertiary medical center laboratory. Versiti’s Diagnostic Labs provide specialized testing for the evaluation of disorders involving abnormal numbers of blood cells, including immune and non-immune disorders of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. Evaluations available include:
- (Auto) Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP)
- Drug-induced cytopenias (anemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia)
- Anemia, including iron deficiency, other nutritional anemias and autoimmune hemolytic anemia · Leukocytosis · Thrombocytosis (reactive and essential thrombocythemia) · Polycythemia (suspected primary – PV, and secondary)
- Myeloproliferative disorders (myelofibrosis, polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia) · Hematology in pregnancy: gestational thrombocytopenia, ITP
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS)
The Benign Hematology team sees patients at the Froedtert and the MCW Clinical Cancer Center in the multidisciplinary clinics: life quadrant, second floor. NOTE: Please notify your patients that while our clinic is located within the Clinical Cancer Center, that does not mean they have a cancer diagnosis.
Diagnostic Laboratory Services
Versiti Diagnostic Labs provides comprehensive functional and genetic testing in support of inherited and immune platelet and neutrophil disorders. Our targeted focus includes:
- Drug Induced Thrombocytopenias, including HIT
- Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia (ITP)
- Fetal and Neonatal Alloimmune Thrombocytopenia (FNAIT)
- Allo- and Autoimmune Neutropenia
- Drug Induced Neutropenia
- Neonatal Alloimmune Neutropenia (NAN)
To view a comprehensive list of diagnostic services, view the Platelet and Neutrophil Immunology Testing Requisition.