M.S. in Transfusion Medicine for International Students
International students are required to simultaneously complete the Transfusion Medicine Master's degree program at Marquette University and the Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB) certificate program at Versiti. This will require duplication of certain documents as part of both applications.
Please note that Versiti does not have a visa program and is not able to sponsor students who require a student visa. Such students must apply for admission to Marquette University, and must work with the Marquette University Graduate School and Office of International Education to be admitted and receive a visa.
Therefore, international students should begin the application process with Marquette University early. The following information is available on the Marquette University website, and should be reviewed prior to completing any application:
Prerequisite for Admission
One year of full-time clinical laboratory experience is required prior to admission, and an emphasis/interest in blood banking is preferred.
In addition, one of the following two options is required: (ASCP Certification Requirements)
- MT/MLS (ASCP) or BB (ASCP) certification and a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours of biological science and 16 semester hours of chemistry
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college/university with a major in a biological or physical science, including the required courses listed above
Application to the SBB Program
Application for admission to the SBB Program must be submitted by April 1 for potential admission beginning in the fall term of that year. The following must be completed:
Completed application form. Applications for Fall 2018 will be open January 1 through April 1, 2018
Application packet materials include:
- An evaluation verifying degree equivalency and a subject breakdown. Submit the original or notarized copy of the evaluation. Please review acceptable evaluation agencies for foreign transcripts.
- Laboratory training records (if appropriate)
- List of continuing education for the last two years
- Three original letters of recommendation signed by the individual. One must be from your current supervisor
- Letter of intent regarding your desire to obtain SBB certification and Master's degree in Transfusion Medicine
- GRE and TOEFL scores (copies of official documents accepted at BloodCenter of Wisconsin; official documents must be submitted to Marquette)
SBB Certificate Program Fees
- SBB Certificate Program Fee: minimum of $1,033 paid in installments. Fees are reviewed annually and subject to change.
- A $50 application fee to Marquette University’s Graduate Program is also required once the student has been accepted to the SBB Certificate program. Admitted students are in non-degree status while earning 18 credits from the SBB program. These 18 credits may be used toward a 39/40-credit Master of Science in Transfusion Medicine degree. There is a dual admission policy with BloodCenter of Wisconsin and Marquette University.
- For Master of Science in Transfusion Medicine, Marquette University graduate credit hour tuition rates apply.
Your completed application packet for the SBB Program must be sent to:
P.O. Box 2178
Milwaukee, WI 53201
For further information, please contact:
Phyllis Kirchner, MSTM, MT(ASCP) SH, SBB
P.O. Box 2178
Milwaukee, WI 53201-2178
Phone (414) 937-6271
Fax (414) 937-6404