TxMD Transfusion Medicine Resources
TxMD™ Transfusion Medicine Program
TxMD is a collaborative partnership between Versiti and local hospitals. Through support from dedicated, specially trained personnel, our team identifies innovative transfusion medicine solutions to enhance patient safety and establish evidence-based blood administration practices. We strive to enhance the knowledge of all healthcare staff throughout our footprint who are involved with blood transfusion and related activities.
Two levels are offered:
- Support service to all Versiti blood services clients
- A TxMD customized program for contracted partners
The TxMD program offers onsite expertise, education, metrics and guidance to deliver sustained change in transfusion practice. Our focus for both service levels is to deliver appropriate, timely blood transfusion education materials and tools to improve operational efficiencies, reduce costs and advance quality of care.
Patient Blood Management
Patient blood management (PBM) is an evidence-based, multidisciplinary approach of various strategies and management during the continuum of care for patients who need transfusions. PBM’s primary goals are to improve patient safety and clinical outcomes by reducing the need for transfusion and appropriately managing a patient’s own blood.
In an increasingly complex healthcare environment, Versiti is committed to working with our hospital partners to support PBM efforts. Our goal is to ensure the right blood product to the right patient, at the right time and for the right reason.
- Versiti Blood Utilization Guidelines - Preface
- Versiti Blood Utilization Guidelines - Red Blood Cells
- Versiti Blood Utilization Guidelines - Plasma
- Versiti Blood Utilization Guidelines - Apheresis Platelets
- Versiti Blood Utilization Guidelines - Cryoprecipitated AHF
- Versiti Blood Utilization Guidelines - Modifications of Blood Components
- Versiti Blood Utilization Guidelines - Autologous and Directed Units
- Versiti Blood Utilization Guidelines - Factor Concentrates
- Versiti Blood Utilization Guidelines - Summary of Thresholds for Blood Component Transfusion
- Creating a Maximum Surgical Blood Ordering Schedule
- Guidelines for Use of Group O Neg RBCs
- O Negative RBC Tips for Optimizing Utilization
- O Negative Tips from Your Coach
- O Negative Tips from Your Coach Case Studies
- O Negative Tips from Coach Case Study Answers
- O Negative Hospital and Blood Center Roles in Utilization
- Acceptable ABO/RhD Substitutions for Blood Products - ADULTS
- Acceptable ABO/RhD Substitutions for Blood Products - PEDIATRICS
- Example Guidelines for Transfusion and Anemia Management During Blood Product Shortages
- Managing Inventory During Blood Shortage
- Recommendations to Clinicians for Transfusion Practice During Blood Product Shortage
- Acute Transfusion Reactions: Signs, Symptoms, and Nursing Actions
- Delayed Transfusion Reactions: Signs, Symptoms, and Nursing Actions
- Tips for Transfusionists: Checking Hemoglobin after Transfusion
- Tips for Transfusionists: Needle Gauge for Transfusion
- Tips for Transfusionists: Recommended Blood Administration Tubing
- Tips for Transfusionists: Acceptable ABO/RhD Type for Commonly Transfused Blood Products
- Tips for Transfusionists: Premedications Before a Blood Transfusion. Where's the Evidence?
Guidelines & Resources
Blood Products and Components
TxMD Transfusion Education Resources
Browse our information sheets and other materials about transfusion medicine and blood banking.