Continuing Education Scholarship
Joan Heimler Legacy of Life Scholarship
Versiti is proud to offer the Joan Heimler Legacy of Life Scholarship. This scholarship was created to honor Joan Heimler, a critical care nurse who was instrumental in establishing the Wisconsin Tissue Bank, which became a part of Versiti in 2010.
The decision to donate organs and tissues is made during a difficult time for families and loved ones. Compassionate care provided by critical care and emergency nurses at this time can be very challenging and yet rewarding. These nurses, in conjunction with their organ procurement organization and tissue and eye bank, provide support to families who have made the decision to give the gift of life to others in need of organ and tissue transplants. The Joan Heimler Legacy of Life Scholarship recognizes Wisconsin nurses who strive to achieve these values in caring for patients and their families.
Attendance at the National Teaching Institute (NTI) & Critical Care Exposition or Emergency Nurses Association (ENA) Annual Meeting provides an opportunity for expanding the knowledge of these nurses, as well as networking with colleagues from around the country. The award recipient may use the scholarship to cover registration, transportation and accommodation expenses at one of these annual meetings.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Any registered nurse who works in Wisconsin full- or part-time in critical care or emergency nursing is eligible to apply. Applicants must provide direct care to patients and families who have made the decision to donate organs and/or tissue at end-of-life or have played an influential role in supporting the donation process at their institution.
2023 Award Applications
- Application submissions for 2023 open in January 2023 and close April 1, 2023
- Provide a copy of your CV or resume
- Write an essay of 1,000 words or less that explains your role in caring for patients and families making the decision to donate organs and tissues
- Ask your nurse manager or supervisor for a letter of support
- Applications must be postmarked no later than April 1, 2023
- 2023 - Alli Gustafson, BSN, RN, CPN Award Essay 2023
- 2022 – Lauren Galante, RN, BSN Award Essay 2022
- 2021 - Nicole Peterson, RN, BSN Award Essay 2021
- 2020 - Amanda Zechzer, RN, BSN Award Essay 2020
- 2019 - Jill Evers, RN, BSN Award Essay 2019
- 2018 - Migdalia Ramos, RN, BSN Award Essay 2018
- 2017 - Rebecca Ramazini, MSN-Ed, RN, CEN Award Essay 2017
- 2016 - Teresa Hammer, RN, BSN Award Essay 2016
- 2015 - Laurie Johnson, RN, CCRN Award Essay 2015
- 2014 - Sarah Burke, RN, BSN Award Essay 2014
- 2013 - Christin Strong, RN Award Essay 2013
- 2012 - Lisa Floeter, RN Award Essay 2012
- 2011 - Pam Johnson, RN Award Essay 2011